Sunday, March 29, 2020

Firing the Cannon



The Townsend Sphere L22
After the synths were recorded, it was finally time for Vreth to step up and deliver! I was really excited to hear what sort of sound he will produce out of his mouth this time. 

We had agreed for a couple of things with him: First of all- we wanted to have some variation on the vocals in general. So if a songs needs a bit more high-pitched approach, he goes a bit more screechy and in case the song is less furious, we may want to try out some lower things instead. As he has been lately teaching proper metal screaming, I was eager to hear how it has affected to his outbursts behind the mic. It's too easy to fall into the trap of being rather monotonous when doing an albumful of vocals, so every song was carefully thought beforehand what sort of "playground" and palette he will have within the boundaries of his vocal cords.

Secondly, no something called "overlapping", which means that you can't "cheat" by singing one line in one track and the next one in another in order to spare your lungs. Taking breaths between the sentences are a natural and initial part of the vocal performance and especially in a faster context they give a sense of urgency and flowing adrenaline. Just imagine how dull Reign in Blood would had sounded if Tom Araya had sung all the lyrics in five-second clips later edited together! Oh, and despite of despi....dips...spyt...Dispyt, no fucking crust screaming. :P

TUESDAY, 24.3.2020.

Studio day #13. Sonic Pump had seemingly travelled in time and brought us a microphone from the future. I'm fully aware of Slate's Virtual Mic System, but this Townsend's "Sphere L22" was completely fucking sci-fi to me. Not only it sports of a couple of different capsules inside and is capable of emulating different mic models and polar capsules even later in the mix (using the plugin) but it has in-built leds inside the grille. Holy LAN party, batman! The computer nerd in me was both excited but also a bit disappointed at the lack of different colors at the same time.

Crusti Crock in action!
After the initial setup, I left Vreth screaming his lungs out and left the studio in order to check out some earlier-recorded bass takes at home I had received from our engineer Juho. After hearing some of them, I was rather relieved that I happen to be both a so-called "audio professional" and a bass player myself. That being said, some of the parts were indeed rather tricky despite of me trying my best not to go full Rancid when arranging them. And in defense of Tundra, though, he must be the world's most violent-sounding bass player ever!

On wednesday, I went to my (now temporarily closed due to corona) office studio to pick up some instruments with my daughter and drove to Sonic Pump. Vreth had performed three songs thus far and jesus tapdancing christ they sounded great. The best vocal performance the guy's ever done with this band, period. We went through the takes, made some notes and I left him to continue his work because my daughter was really letting us know her increasing boredom, which was rather understandable, hah! Later Vreth messaged me that he had actually collapsed during the last scream of the one referedd as "Nightwish", which I thought was excellent. Suffering for the sake of art is undervalued these days when everything is about safe spaces and comfort zones!



THURSDAY, 26.3.2020.

Studio day #15. I received a message from Vreth in the morning that our first guest has to cancel his appearance for now due to the upcoming lockdown of southern Finland. In case he came here, he could not return back home. What a FUCKING TOTAL LETDOWN. I talked with the guy and we desperately tried to arrange a plan B, but at least for now we just need to put the idea on ice. Let's hope we could get something done a bit later when we're still mixing! Luckily there was a silver lining and another guest I had talked to confirmed his appearance right after that and we agreed he'd pop by the studio on friday to do his needs.

I went to the studio after work in order to go through Vreth's takes and to record a lot of guitar squeals, feedbacks and different noises for various places in the songs. As all the guitars were played with a DI signal (a.k.a no amp) and needed to be reamped later, many essential sounds produced by the interaction between the guitar mics and the amp couldn't be captured that way and needed to be recorded separately. While Vreth was spitting on the microphone in the bigger room, I was sitting in a closet in front of a freaking loud guitar amp, playing chords and punishing the guitar like it was 1977 and punk had just been invented. After a couple of hours I was finally ready, and left Vreth finalizing his duties. After all this incredibly bad luck and some rather unconvincing performances, it was a sheer relief to leave the studio for professional people doing professional work, knowing that I don't have to worry about anything later.

We agreed that Vreth will do the last song and some replacements on friday, and after that it's time for all that weird shit and whatnot. More on that later!



12 comments:

  1. Thanks for another excellent update, I really don't know how you find time to write these blogs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somewhere between work and sleeping the kids, but mostly in small pieces. ;)

      Delete
  2. Didn't see any post where routa playing to record this album, what's the reason behind that?

    Thanks for the reply :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go to a couple of posts earlier (posted 16.3.) and find the entry for 14.3, I wrote there "After having been visited Routa briefly at the studio", which indicates that he actually was there and played guitar. :D Routa doesn't like anyone (especially me) to be in the studio while he records, so I respected that and left him alone on those days!

      Delete
    2. thank you so much for your reply, I feared that not all the band had managed to take part in the recordings, because of the coronavirus :)
      I can't wait for the album :)

      greetings from an italian fan :)

      Delete
  3. Don't tell me that the guest that had to cancel happens to be certain
    someone mentioned in the first posts, cause otherwise What a fucking letdown.

    Conspiracies aside, any Skrymer on album, artwork maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point, I had two people in mind: Katla (maybe she can sing again, maybe just a little) and Tapio Wilska. Totally wrong?

      Delete
    2. C'mon Dude I tried to keep my guess slightly vague in hopes of a vague answer, keeping mysterious enough to be pleasantly surprised when the album comes out :D

      Now there's going to be some terrible shits n giggles guest (like on new ensiferum albums) chanting some of-key mumbo jumbo finishing of with a"Kom igen!" XD

      Delete
    3. No, we're not Ensiferum. ;) Let's just say that I have indeed been in contact also with the two abovementioned persons for "various reasons" and then some other people for various reasons as well. :P

      Delete
  4. How would you describe the album if you had to compare it with the rest of the discography? Do you think it's a hybrid or is it totally detached from the rest of the discography? For example, Nattfödd in my opinion has nothing in common with Ur Jordens Djup, while listening to Nifelvind I find that it has something in common with Blodsvept. Do you think this album will be closer to Jaktens Tid or a hybrid between Nattfödd and Jaktens Tid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really hard to say, to be honest, as the album is not mixed yet. There's a lot of Nattfödd and Jaktens Tid in the songwriting for sure, but naturally the album in whole doesn't (and shouldn't!) sound like something we already did 15-20 years ago. That would just be a bit embarrassing.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, as always, for being so kind to respond. At this point I am curious to find out what thematic direction the texts and, above all, the artwork will have, since I did not love the style of Blodsvept's drawings very much, I hope for something more similar to Nattfödd's drawings (the best!). Waiting for the post about the intro!

      Delete